Facing a DUI Charge in Middletown?
New Jersey process some of the most DWI offenses in all of Monmouth County, New Jersey. The Middletown Municipal Court presides over almost 200 DWI / DUI cases each and every year. If you have been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Middletown, New Jersey the Keith Oliver Criminal Law can help. DWI charges are considered to be some of the most difficult offenses to defend in New Jersey. That is because plea bargaining is prohibited on DWI charges in New Jersey. In other words, in order to receive a favorable outcome, you must be able to create legitimate proof issues. That is why it is imperative that you speak to an experienced Middletown DUI defense lawyer as soon as possible about your options. Our office is located directly across the street from the Middletown Municipal Court. We are located at 180 Kings Highway. If you have been summonsed to appear in the Middletown Municipal Court to defend yourself on DWI charges, we can help. If you would like to come into our office for a free initial consultation today then please contact us directly at (732) 858-6959. One of the members of our firm is certified by Drager Diagnostics, as an operator for the Alcotest Machine. This is the machine that New Jersey uses to test a Defendant’s Blood Alcohol Content (BAC). He is also certified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as an instructor in the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests as well. These are the two main pieces of evidence that the Middletown Municipal Prosecutor will try and use to convict a Defendant of DWI. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us. We are available around the clock to help assist in anyway possible.
Major Roadways that Lead to DUI Stops in Middletown
- The Garden State Parkway
- Route 35
- Route 36
- Route 18
- County Road 520
Middletown Municipal Courthouse
- Location: 1 Kings Highway, which is right off of Route 35.
- Hours of Operation: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Contact Information: 732.615.2036
- Court Schedule:
- Every Monday & 3rd Thursday at 8:30 a.m. &
- Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.
- Chief Judge: Honorable James E. Berube J.M.C.
- Jurisdiction: DWI / DUI, Traffic Offenses, Disorderly Persons Offenses, Township Ordinances.
Looking for a Local DUI Defense Lawyer in Middletown, New Jersey
It is important to note here, that DWI’s are technically considered traffic offenses in New Jersey. With that being said, the penalties if convicted can be more devastating than most criminal charges. The potential penalties that one faces if convicted of a DWI in Middletown, New Jersey will depend directly on whether or not the Defendant has any prior DWI convictions. Penalties for a DWI offense in New Jersey escalate drastically for each conviction. For example, a first offense DUI could result in the imposition of the ignition interlock device for three to twelve months as well as a loss of license for four to six months. For a second offense DWI, the license suspension ranges from one to two years. Lastly, for a third or subsequent DWI, the license suspension is a mandatory eight years. On top of that, a third or subsequent offense conviction requires a mandatory 180 day jail sentence as well. For more information on DWI offenses in Middletown, New Jersey please give us a call at (732) 858-6959.
Common Criminal Charges Associated with DUI Arrest in Middletown, NJ
Although driving while intoxicated cases are considered traffic offense, it is not uncommon for an individual charged with a DWI to also be charged with criminal offenses as well. In fact, these type of situations arise more often than one would think. The two most common offenses that we see being issued in connection with a DWI offense in Middletown is assault by auto and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. Both of these offenses are considered indictable offenses, which is New Jersey’s version of a felony. This would require that the individual’s entire case, including the DWI be transferred from the Middletown Municipal Court to the Monmouth County Superior Court, which is located in Freehold. It probably goes without saying, but this makes a bad situation far worse. Some of the other common criminal charges that we see being issued with DWI cases include but are not limited too: endangering the welfare of a child, eluding, resisting arrest, aggravated assault, death by auto and strict liability death by auto.
What to Know about DWI Cases in Middletown NJ
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions when it comes to driving while intoxicated offenses in Middletown:
- Can I get a Jury Trial on my DWI Case?
- No, since DWI is considered a traffic offense, a defendant would not be entitled to a Jury Trial and would instead have to proceed with a Bench Trial.
- If I Refuse to Submit to a Breath Sample can they still charge me with DWI?
- Yes, the individual would be charged with a per see DWI violation. The Prosecution would seek to proof there case by the eliciting testimony surrounding the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests and the arresting officers observations. This charged would be in addition to the Refusal charge as well.
- If I have a Driver’s Licenses from another State, will I lose my license for a DWI charge in NJ?
- Not necessarily. New Jersey only has the ability to suspended an out of state license holder’s driving privileges in this state. It would ultimately be up to the individual’s home state to decide what action if any they take on their license.
- Is a DWI Considered a Criminal Offense in NJ?
- No, DWI / DUI / Refusal to Submit a Breath Sample’s are considered traffic offenses in New Jersey. So a conviction for same would not result in the individual being charged with a criminal record.
- Can the New Jersey State Police Charge me with DWI in Middletown?
- Yes, if the incident occurred within their jurisdiction, they have the authority to charge an individual with DWI. The New Jersey State Police have original jurisdiction over all cases that occur within Middletown boarders.
Charged with a DUI Offense? Talk to Our Experienced DUI Lawyers in Middletown, NJ Today
As you can tell, the penalties one faces for a DWI conviction in New Jersey are severe. If you have been charged with a DWI / DUI offense in Middletown it is imperative that you speak to not only an experienced DWI defense attorney but an experienced Middletown Municipal Court defense attorney about your options. Hiring the right attorney can make all the difference when it comes to defending these types of charges. If you would like to come into our office, which is located directly across from the Middletown Municipal Court then please contact us at (732) 858-6959. We are well aware of what a lengthy license suspension can do to one’s future. As always, our initial consultations are free, so if you have any questions whatsoever, please do not hesitate to contact us.