Facing a DUI Charge in Middletown, New Jersey?
Middletown, New Jersey process some of the most DUI offenses in all of Monmouth County, New Jersey, and Middlesex County, NJ. The Middletown Municipal Court presides over almost 200 DWI / DUI cases each and every year. If you have been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Middletown, New Jersey the Keith Oliver Criminal Law can help. DWI charges are considered to be some of the most difficult offenses to defend in Middletown, New Jersey. That is because plea bargaining is prohibited on DUI charges in New Jersey. In other words, in order to receive a favorable outcome, you must be able to create legitimate proof legal issues. That is why it is imperative that you speak to an experienced Middletown DUI defense lawyer as soon as possible about your options. Our law office is located directly across the street from the Middletown Municipal Court. Our Middletown DUI defense lawyers are located at 180 Kings Highway. If you have been summonsed to appear in the Middletown Municipal Court to defend yourself on DWI DWI charges, we can help. If you would like to come into our law office for a free consultation today then please contact us directly at (732) 858-6959. Our DWI defense attorney is certified by Drager Diagnostics, as an operator for the Alcotest Machine. This is the machine that Middletown, New Jersey uses to test a Defendant’s Blood Alcohol Content (BAC). He is also certified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as an instructor in the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests as well. These are the two main pieces of evidence that the Middletown Municipal Prosecutor will try and use to convict a Defendant of DWI. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our experienced criminal defense lawyer. Our DWI lawyer is available around the clock to help assist in any way possible.
Major Roadways that Lead to DUI Stops in Middletown, NJ
- The Garden State Parkway
- Route 35
- Route 36
- Route 18
- County Road 520
Middletown Municipal Courthouse
- Location: 1 Kings Highway, which is right off of Route 35.
- Hours of Operation: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Contact Information: 732.615.2036
- Middletown Municipal Court Schedule:
- Every Monday & 3rd Thursday at 8:30 a.m. &
- Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.
- Chief Judge: Honorable James E. Berube J.M.C.
- Jurisdiction: DWI / DUI, Traffic Offenses, Disorderly Persons Offenses, Township Ordinances.
Looking for a team of Middletown DUI Defense Lawyers in New Jersey
It is important to note here, that DWIs are technically considered traffic offenses in New Jersey. With that being said, the penalties if convicted can be more devastating than most criminal charges. The potential penalties that one faces if convicted of a DWI in Middletown, New Jersey will depend directly on whether or not the Defendant has any prior DWI convictions. Penalties for a DWI offense in New Jersey escalate drastically for each conviction. For example, a first-offense DUI could result in the imposition of the ignition interlock device for three to twelve months as well as a loss of license for four to six months. For a second offense DWI, the license suspension ranges from one to two years. Lastly, for a third or subsequent DWI, the license suspension is a mandatory eight years. On top of that, a third or subsequent offense conviction requires a mandatory 180 day jail sentence as well. For more information on DWI offenses in Middletown, New Jersey please give our qualified criminal defense attorneys a call at (732) 858-6959 for a free consultation.
Common Criminal Charges Associated with DUI Arrest in New Jersey
Although driving while intoxicated cases are considered traffic offense, it is not uncommon for an individual charged with a DWI to also be charged with criminal offenses as well. In fact, these type of situations arise more often than one would think. The two most common offenses that we see being issued in connection with a DWI offense in Middletown is assault by auto and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. Both of these offenses are considered indictable offenses, which is New Jersey’s version of a felony. This would require that the individual’s entire case, including the DWI be transferred from the Middletown Municipal Court to the Monmouth County Superior Municipal Court, which is located in Freehold. It probably goes without saying, but this makes a bad situation far worse, which is why hiring an experienced Middletown criminal defense attorney is a good option. Some of the other common criminal charges that we see being issued with DWI cases include but are not limited to endangering the welfare of a child, eluding, resisting arrest, aggravated assault, death by auto, and strict liability death by auto.
What to Know about New Jersey DWI Cases
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions when it comes to driving while intoxicated offenses in Middletown and Jersey drunk driving laws:
- Can I get a Jury Trial on my DWI Case?
- No, since DWI is considered a traffic offense, a defendant would not be entitled to a Jury Trial and would instead have to proceed with a Bench Trial.
- If I Refuse to Submit a Breath Sample can they still charge me with DWI?
- If I have a Driver’s License from another State, will I lose my license for a DWI charge in NJ?
- Not necessarily. New Jersey only has the ability to suspend an out-of-state license holder’s driving privileges in this state. It would ultimately be up to the individual’s home state to decide what action if any they take on their license.
- Is a DWI Considered a Criminal Offense in NJ?
- No, DWI / DUI / Refusal to Submit a Breath Sample are considered traffic offenses in New Jersey. So a conviction for the same would not result in the individual being charged with a criminal record.
- Can the New Jersey State Police Charge me with DWI in Middletown?
- Yes, if the incident occurred within their jurisdiction, the police officers in Middletown have the authority to charge an individual with DWI. The New Jersey State Police have original jurisdiction over all cases that occur within Middletown borders.
Charged with a DUI Offense? Talk to Our Experienced DUI Lawyers in Middletown, NJ Today
As you can tell, the penalties one faces for a DWI conviction in New Jersey are severe. If you have been charged with a DWI / DUI offense in Middletown it is imperative that you speak to not only an experienced DWI defense attorney but an experienced Middletown Municipal Court defense attorney about your options. Hiring the right criminal defense lawyers in Middletown, NJ can make all the difference when it comes to defending these types of charges. If you would like to come into our office and meet with our criminal defense lawyers, which is located directly across from the Middletown Municipal Court then please contact us at (732) 858-6959 for a free consultation. We are well aware of what a lengthy license suspension can do to one’s future. As always, our initial consultations are free, so if you have any questions whatsoever, please do not hesitate to contact our criminal defense attorney for your DUI defense.