Will my child have to go to court for a juvenile crime charge in Monmouth County?

While a juvenile will need to appear for some sort of hearing to address a criminal charge, in some cases these hearings are much less formal than a trial. For example, a juvenile may be referred to an intake services conference, which meets with the juvenile, their parent(s)/guardian(s), and the individual who filed the criminal complaint to arrive at a recommended disposition that must be approved by the court. A juvenile may also be referred to an informal hearing before a referee. Finally, a juvenile’s case may end up on the court’s formal calendar for a trial-like hearing where the juvenile has the constitutional right to counsel.