The length of time it takes to get an expungement can vary depending on a number of factors, but generally the process may take upwards of six months. After you submit your application with supporting documents to the court, there are a number of steps that need to occur, including:
- Your case getting assigned to a judge
- The court scheduling your hearing
- The expungement order getting served to the appropriate agencies, if granted
- The relevant agencies removing your records from their databases
- The New Jersey State Police confirming the expungement
The time between filing your petition and receiving confirmation that the expungement is complete can vary depending on whether any involved parties need more time to review your case, the court handling your request is backlogged, your case is considered of “public interest,” and more.