Juvenile Conference Committee Hearings in New Jersey

Juvenile Lawyer Handling Juvenile Conference Committee Hearings in Monmouth County, NJ

Any juvenile charged as a delinquent, which is another way of saying charged with a crime, could have their case diverted from the traditional court room proceedings. One of New Jersey’s main juvenile diversionary options is the Juvenile Conference Committee, which is more commonly known in the legal community by its acronym JCC. This is Court approved but community run program that tries to divert lower level and typically first time offenders from the traditional courtroom setting. All juvenile delinquent complaints filed in Monmouth County will be transferred from the local police department to the Family Division of the Monmouth County Superior Court in Freehold, NJ. At that point, an initial decision as to how the complaint will handled needs to be made. If the determination is made that the case should be referred to the JCC as opposed to an Intake Service Conference (ISC), a Juvenile Referee Hearing or a formal proceeding, the matter will be sent to the committee to handle. Since the overall goal of the Juvenile Criminal Justice System is too rehabilitate, the potential penalties a juvenile faces at a JCC hearing can really vary. If your child has been charged with a juvenile delinquent complaint in Monmouth County, the Keith Oliver Criminal Law can help. Our Monmouth County based criminal defense attorneys have handled a wide array of juvenile criminal complaints and have a firm understanding of how the Juvenile Criminal Justice System works. If you would like to set up a free initial consultation today, please contact our Middletown office at (732)-858-6959 or you can try contacting us online. We serve all of Monmouth County, including towns like Holmdel, Hazlet, Middletown, Ocean Township, Wall Township, West Long Branch, Manalapan, Colts Neck and Marlboro. Now here is some information on JCC hearings in Monmouth County.

Who Decides if a Juvenile Criminal Complaint is Diverted to a Juvenile Conference Committee in NJ

All juvenile delinquent complaints will be sent from the local police department to the Family Division of the Superior Court in the county where the juvenile resides. Once the delinquent complaint is received, the family division’s intake staff will be tasked with reviewing each and every complaint. After reviewing the complaint, the intake staff will make a decision as to what type of proceeding is appropriate. If the allegations contained in the complaint are to significant to simply dismiss the case but not severe enough to send to the formal court proceeding then the case can be sent to the local Juvenile Conference Committee. Once that decision is made, the juvenile will receive via the mail, a formal notice to appear on a specific date and at a specific time for the hearing. If the juvenile wishes to aggressively challenge the allegations contained in the complaint in a more traditional court proceeding then they can formal reject the JCC referral.

Who Makes up a JCC in Monmouth County?

The Juvenile Conference Committee will be made up of local volunteers who have been approved by the Family Division. Typically speaking, each committee is made up of six to nine volunteers. Before they can be approved to sit on the panel, the volunteers must undergo specific training to make sure they are equipped to handle these types of cases. The committee is basically an arm of the Court so they must be able to take into consideration the input of the complainant and/or the victim and balance the appropriate outcome.

What Types of Cases Get Sent to a Juvenile Conference Committee in Monmouth County Family Court

In order to be considered by the intake staff for a Juvenile Conference Committee the juvenile must be a first or at the very least a second time offender. In addition, the offense must be considered relatively minor. Some of the common juvenile delinquent complaints that we see being diverted to a JCC in Monmouth County include: simple assault, disorderly conduct, underage drinking, shoplifting and harassment. As previously stated, if the juvenile or their guardian prefers to have their matter litigated in a more formal proceeding, they will have the ability to reject the JCC resolution. If that occurs, the matter will be transferred to one of the more formal proceedings, including a Juvenile Referee Hearing.

What are Some Potential Outcomes of a JCC Hearing in NJ?

Since these are informal proceedings the juvenile cannot be adjudicated as a delinquent, which is a fancy way of saying being convicted of the charges. Usually the panel will be engage in a discussion with the juvenile, their parents or guardians, the complainant and any victims. During this discussion the hopes is that a reasonable resolution can be reached. The resolution will typical require the juvenile to accept responsibility for their actions and will include some form of a deterrent punishment. Some of the common deterrent punishments include but are not limited to the following:

  • Imposition of a Curfew,
  • Counseling,
  • Community Service,
  • Essays

If the juvenile agrees to the proposed resolution and completes all the of the imposed conditions, the case will be dismissed outright. If, however, the juvenile fails to agree to the terms or agrees to the terms but fails to comply with them, the case will be sent back to the Family Division and it will be scheduled for a formal proceeding. If the juvenile is charged as a delinquent with a new offense then the JCC recommendation can be voided and the case can be sent back for a formal proceeding as well.

Speak to a Monmouth County Juvenile Defense Attorney Today

At Keith Oliver Criminal Law, we fully understand the stress that is created when a juvenile is taken into custody and charged as a delinquent. We also understand the importance of making sure that the case is handled properly so that it does not affect the juvenile’s future. As such, our team is dedicated to aggressively defending the allegation in order to assure that a lapse in judgement does not derail their future. If your child has been charged as a delinquent in Monmouth County, in towns like Atlantic Highlands, Belmar, Keyport, Keansburg, Long Branch, Asbury Park or elsewhere and would like to speak to one of our attorneys, then contact us at (732)-858-6959. Please do not underestimate the severity of being charged as a delinquent. A conviction can really derail a juveniles future.

Author: Keith G. Oliver

Founding partner Keith G. Oliver has a passion for helping people who are caught up in the criminal justice system. He believes that everyone has a right to be presumed innocent, and that one mistake shouldn’t define a person forever. This passion drives Mr. Oliver to tirelessly fight for his clients and pursue the best possible outcome in every case.